Since the school closure, we have been trialling using different video conference platforms, to deliver live online ‘lessons’. We believe these are of real benefit for students as they offer the opportunity for interaction with their teacher and they provide a more ‘normal’ lesson environment and will also support the work parents are doing.
We will now be offering more opportunities for students to experience these types of lessons using Google Meet. We are not insisting that all staff undertake this, or that all lessons are delivered in this way, but we are encouraging staff to do this more, particularly with students in Year 10 and 12.
‘Live online lessons’ may be shorter than 1 hour and may be more ‘tutorial style’ sessions were students have the opportunity to ask and answer questions, it will be up to staff to decide what suits their particular class at that moment in time. We also recognise that for some families it may not always be possible for a student to join a class, so materials used in these lessons will be available on frog for independent study.
Student Expectations for Video Conferencing
In order for the video conference ‘lesson’ to run smoothly please ensure that you obey the following rules:
- You may only join the session if you are logged into Google using your school email address.
- Session times and titles cannot be shared with anyone not on the original distribution list within Frog.
- You must be dressed appropriately (no pyjamas), check the background to your image to ensure it is appropriate and contains no personal or inappropriate material.
- Your participation in this video lesson is covered by the Acceptable use Policy you sign up to when in school which can be found at: https://www.bishopluffa.org.uk/pupils/student-acceptable-use-policy/
- Please be aware that ‘normal’ classroom expectations of behaviour will apply and you may be ejected from this meeting and future meetings if you fail to follow these expectations.
- You are not to record or share any images from the video conference lesson you are taking part in.
And undertake the following good practice:
- Please log on to the session 5 minutes before the start time.
- Resources required need to be available (open on your device or printed) before the ‘lesson’.
- Ensure once you are logged on that your video image is clear.
- Ensure you know how to turn off your microphone and video as you will need to do this at points in the lesson.
- If there is a large amount of background noise, please turn off your microphone.
- Ensure that you can use the chat function.
- If you would like to ask a question during the session please use the text chat facility to text the teacher
The guides below may be helpful if you need support in setting up and using Google Meet:
How to send chat messages through Google https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308979
How to change your Audio and Video settings in Google Meet https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9302964?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
This may help if your internet connection is poor.
Please note that all video conferences are recorded but will not be shared with others, they are recorded should there be an issue during the online lesson which needs further investigation.