Despite lockdown there was still much to be celebrated at the end of the school year at Bishop Luffa. During the final whole school assembly we found out who won the Head Teacher Awards, who raised the most money for PICU and, of course, who won the Sports and House Cups.
The Luffa Spring Clean raising money for Southampton PICU raised a fantastic £2,373.50. For this event we were fortunate enough to be able to secure some prizes for our top fundraisers from our event sponsors, Hills Plants, Bishop Luffa PTA and Bear About Town. The prize winners were:
- 1st Prize: Anna Collar (9Story) and Lucy Collar (9Wilson)
- 2nd Prize: Aimee Boteler (7King)
- 3rd Prize: Jack Newman (7Ridgeway)
- 4th Prize: Olivia Baggott (9Andrewes)
The Head Teacher Awards were also awarded. This year the Heads of House joined the virtual assembly to share who had won this award in their House for 2019-2020.
- Andrewes – Millie Grant (11Andrewes)
- Burrows – Joseph Stevens (11Burrows)
- King – Amy Joyce (10King)
- Otter – Eddie Borbone (9Otter)
- Ridgeway – Esther Sutton (7Ridgeway)
- Sherborne – Georgina Lamdin (8Sherborne)
- Story – Harrison Phillips (9Story)
- Wilson – Manka Vecsei (9Wilson)
The virtual Sports Day events were a huge success and thanks goes to Mr Godfray for organising this fantastic event. Both pupils and staff took part and 847 results were submitted across the different events, with many miles cycled and run, and 100s of metres jumped. Burrows House had a runaway success winning every Year group from 7 through to 10. Year 12 and 13 had only two pupils join the event and again Burrows House were the winners. This year there was also a staff event and the winning House was again Burrows House.
Unsurprisingly the overall winner of the Sports Day Cup was BURROWS HOUSE!!
There has been great teamwork throughout the whole year. The School Games Cup covers lots of events including Sports Day and Interhouse competitions including cross country, dance, football, rugby and many others. The final scores were:
- 8th place: 149 points – Story
- 7th place: 172 points – Sherborne
- 6th place: 174 points – Andrewes
- 5th place: 179 points – King
- 4th place: 184 points – Otter
- 3rd place: 187 points – Wilson
- 2nd place: 241 points – Ridgeway
- 1st place and winners of the School Games Cup with 289 points was BURROWS HOUSE!
During the assembly we also said farewell to the following staff:
- Miss Lawson
- Mr Jelley
- Mr Apperley
- Mrs Hobbs
- Mrs Furnell (our English teacher)
Mr Hindman also said a massive thank you to Mr Putnam for leading Andrewes House for the past 25 years. Mr Putnam is stepping down from this role but will continue to teach at the school.
And finally we found out who won the School House Cup for 2019-2020.
- 8th with 14,564 House points – King
- 7th with 15,676 House points – Andrewes
- 6th with 17,881 House points – Wilson
- 5th with 18,125 House points – Story
- 4th with 18,878 House points – Burrows
- 3rd with 19,227 House points – Sherborne
- 2nd with 19,495 House points – Otter
- and in 1st place with 22,646 points and winners of the School House Cup is RIDGEWAY HOUSE.
The assembly finished with the prayer of Saint Richard of Chichester.
Thanks be to thee, my Lord Jesus Christ,
for all the benefits though hast given me,
for all the pains and insults thou hast borne for me.
O must merciful redeemer, friend and brother,
may I know thee more clearly,
love thee more dearly,
and follow thee more nearly,
day by day.
You can view the final assembly by clicking on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tDP92SjgU
We look forward to welcoming the whole school back with us in September.