Dear parents and carers of Year 9 students,
It is finally time for your child to choose their options. Most students are excited at the prospect of this, as it is their first real opportunity to take control of their education. It also allows both school and home to talk to students about the courses and careers that they may follow when they leave school.
Our approach at Bishop Luffa is to emphasise the opportunity that this gives students to really immerse themselves in subjects that they enjoy; however, it is also important that students do not narrow their focus so much that they limit their options when they leave school. The role of teachers, parents and carers is to help the children to find that balance.
There are a number of key dates during the process:
- Wednesday 9 December - Taster session choice form issued
- Monday 4 January - Options materials available on the school website
- Thursday 7 January - GCSE taster day
- Monday 11 January - Window for making preliminary online choices starts. Instructions will be emailed to parents.
- Wednesday 13 January Year 9 Grades issued
- Monday 18 January - Deadline for Year 9 Preliminary online choices made
- Thursday 28 January - Parents’ and Carers' Virtual Consultation Evening (Parents/Carers and Students) 4.00pm – 7.00 pm
- Monday 1 February - Deadline for Year 9 Final online choices made
We are this year unable to provide an opportunity for parents and carers to come into school and talk to their teachers. We have instead created a Year 9 options area of the school website with videos from Heads of Faculty and team leaders giving information about their courses. There is also an introductory video which details the considerations for you as parents and carers, your child and the process that occurs in school, which will be added in January.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s Head of House or Mr Stuart White, Deputy Head, who will be running the options process.
Thank you for your support,
Mr Austen Hindman