Syllabus Number: AQA 8132
Teacher who leads the subject: Mrs C Smerdon-Corp
Click on the image below to find out more:
Why study Business?
Be the next Richard Branson, Alan Sugar or James Dyson…….
Do you fancy yourself at the head of a successful business? Have you got some great ideas for new products or services? Or maybe you want to work for a large company by working in marketing or management. No matter what your vision, Business can give you an incredibly powerful start to launch you on to your career.
- Everyone ends up working in a business organisation of some kind, so it is important for you to understand how they operate to make future career choices.
- The course covers useful life skills such as application for jobs, an understanding of ethical business and laws that all consumers need to know.
- The course covers all aspects of Business and is good preparation for Business at A level and at University where there are many courses at different levels. For example, past Bishop Luffa students have gone on to study Event Management, Accountancy and Strategic Management.
- The subject is taught using a variety of learning styles and activities, especially using computers for work and business research.
Outline of syllabus content
All aspects of Business are covered in the course:
- Marketing and enterprise as well as creating business plans.
- Business structure and different types of business including franchises and multinationals.
- Human resources including recruitment, training, organisation and motivation.
- Production using different methods and lean production.
- Finance including an understanding of profit and loss, breakeven and sources of finance.
- External factors that affect businesses such as the economy, laws, ethics and the environment.
Paper 1 – Influences of Operational and Human Resource Management on business activity
Paper 2 – Influences of Marketing and Finance on business activity