Reviewed: November 2019
Bishop Luffa School Equality Statement and Objectives for the Academic Year 2019-2020
I have come in order that you might have life - life in all its fullness (John 10:10)
Always our best because everyone matters
Bishop Luffa School has developed this Equality Statement to help us to meet our Public Sector Equality Duty under the Equalities Act 2010.
The Equality Act’s provisions cover all aspects of school life such as the treatment of:
- pupils and prospective pupils
- parents and carers
- local community
The Equality Act 2010 has simplified anti-discrimination laws by having a single equality Act. This makes it easier for people to understand and comply with the law. The 2010 Act has also strengthened protection in some situations.
The act covers nine protected characteristics, which cannot be used as a reason to treat people unfairly. Every person has one or more of the protected characteristics, so the act protects everyone against unfair treatment. The protected characteristics are:
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- gender reassignment
- sexual orientation
The Equality Act makes it unlawful to treat someone differently, either through direct or indirect discrimination, harassment, victimisation or by failing to make a reasonable adjustment for a disabled person. Since 6 April 2011 the Act applies to all public bodies including:
- Local Authorities
- Schools, colleges and other state-funded educational settings including academies
Age applies to a school as an employer, but not with regard to the treatment of pupils and prospective pupils.
We are bound by the Public Sector Equality Duty to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, and victimization;
- Advance equality of opportunity;
- Foster good relations
The general duty is supported by specific duties, these are to:
- Publish information which demonstrates our compliance with the duty to have due regard for the three aims of the general duty and to annually repeat this.
- Prepare and publish our specific and measurable objectives to achieve the three aims of the duty and undertake this no later than in four years’ time.
Within our school all staff and Directors at the school are responsible for ensuring the school meets its duties under the Equality Act 2010.
Eliminating harassment and bullying
The school will not tolerate any form of harassment and bullying of pupils or our staff.
We will provide relevant training by using all suitable delivery methods.
Procurement and Contractors
We will take steps to ensure that contractors working at the school operate within the requirements of our Equality Statement.
Visitors to the School
We will take steps to ensure that all visitors to our school including parents act within the requirements of our Equality Statement.
Publishing the Statement
We will publish our statement on the school website.
Reporting our Progress
We will report progress against the Duty through our regular reporting mechanisms.
Reviewing and Revising the Equality Statement
We will review and revise the Statement no later than four years from publication of this statement.
How we will meet the General Duty & Specific Duty
We are required to meet the three aims under the General Duty as set out by the Equality Act 2010 and our approach i.e. information and objectives set out in Annex 1 and 2.
Our Equality Objectives (2019-2020)
- To ensure all teaching promotes equality of opportunity and that all staff are differentiating for students of different abilities;
- To improve outcomes for students in receipt of Pupil Premium and students with SEND and other vulnerable groups;
- To develop our practice to enable full access to the curriculum for students with physical impairments;
- To ensure equal access to extra-curricular activities for all students regardless of SEND;
- To develop a programme of peer awareness of SEND and other protected characteristics to reduce prejudicial bullying.
A copy of this statement will be displayed on the school website and all staff members employed by the School will be directed to access it. It will be reviewed annually and amended and modified as appropriate.